Why BOOKS & LEMONADE?

I named my blog Books & Lemonade because I think one of the most relaxing things is sitting outside reading a good book and drinking some ice-cold lemonade ;)

Monday, July 5, 2010

More Of An Applause Than A Review

Yeah, I realize I said I was going to post a review of the final two books in The It Girl series, but you know what? That would just be confusing, considering I would have to go through everything in each book and for those of you who haven't read the whole series or any of the series, well, you'd probably end up scratching your head at the end because I would have probably made no sense. What with my babbling and drooling over the cute characters and screaming over some of the subplots. So anyway, this is more of an applause to creator Cecily von Ziegesar. First, she created Gossip Girl. And for those of you who do not know me, I am just a little obsessed with Gossip Girl (the show). I mean, I really love the books because obviously, the show is based off of them, but I feel like the show has more juicy drama. And let's not forget Chace Crawford and Ed Westwick :) So one of the main Gossip Girl characters is Jenny Humphrey. She's the younger, naive sister of Dan. She's cute and would do anything to be in with the likes of Blair Waldorf and Serena van der Woodsen. I really liked her character from the beginning of the show (and the books, which I started reading after the first season of the show). So naturally, I was ecstatic when I learned of a whole series spin-off dedicated to Little J. I zipped through the bulk of the Gossip Girl series so I could get to the part where Jenny leaves. After all, I didn't want to start reading The It Girl until I knew everything that had happened to Jenny previous to the new series. 

I loved each and every It Girl book. I liked how each chapter was titled with "A Waverly Owl..." because that really made you understand that they were at some exclusive boarding school where they basically broke all the rules. The new characters too, were amazing. Tinsley, Brett, Callie, Easy (one of the most conflicted characters, which I liked), Brandon, Julian (I had a little crush on him haha), and even the more minor characters like Alan (hysterical stoner guy), Sage, Benny, and all the others. Truthfully, I liked The It Girl series better than Gossip Girl. Don't get me wrong, GG is awesome, but I liked following Jenny and her messed-up friends wind deeper and deeper into scandals and parties and plain stupidity. It was fun and I really enjoyed reading all ten of The It Girl books. 

I finished Classic, the final book in the series, last week and it was so hard reading the last pages because I didn't want it to end. Although the ending was near perfect, close to just the way I wanted it, I was miniscule-y disappointed. I loved how it all came together, but I wished it would have showed maybe what happened in later years, like when Jenny was a senior at Waverly or something. Nonetheless, I was very satisfied with this series. If you love gossip, scandal, drama, comedy, craziness, and lovable characters, you will love this series too. So I applaud you, Ms. von Ziegesar. Excellent job on this series (and on Gossip Girl, where it all started). Go pick up the first book in the series and get hooked like me! Now, if they'd only make The It Girl into a TV show, too, only with someone else who actually looks like the Jenny described in the books (no offense to The Pretty Reckless singer Taylor Momsen or anything)... 

No comments:

Post a Comment